Cavities & Fillings
Have you ever woken up with a toothache and wondered if all those sweets you’ve been eating have finally caught up to you? Better safe than sorry! We encourage our patients to take action at the first sign of cavities, plaque buildup, gum disease or tooth decay. While we are here to help, our primary goal is to help our patients stay healthy and cavity-free!
How To Prevent Cavities:
- Avoid carbohydrate-heavy foods as much as possible (especially sugary treats like soda and candy). These quickly turn into bacteria and acid which combines with the food particles and saliva to create a buildup of plaque. Too much plaque can lead to enamel dissolving – which in turn creates holes in your teeth (aka cavities).
- Brush your teeth twice a day for at least 2 minutes per session. After carefully brushing your teeth and gums, be sure to floss out any leftover debris that may be jammed in between your teeth. After flossing, rinse your mouth out by swishing around a cup of water and then do the same thing with fluoride mouthwash. If possible, briefly brush/floss after lunch for advanced cavity protection.
- Visit your Dentist (that’s me!) regularly. What do I mean by regularly? Nothing crazy… just twice a year. Every six months is a reasonable timetable to schedule checkups to make sure everything is okay with your dental hygiene. Our state of the art instruments, machines, and technology can find diseases and cavities at an early stage. The earlier we find something, the easier it is to treat.
Dr. Bash’s patient-first mentality has proven to be a huge success for routine dental maintenance ranging from proactive cleanings to in-office X-Rays. Our customized treatment options for cavities include a few types of fillings, cavity treatments, and prevention plans for the future.
If you end up getting a cavity; don’t worry. It’s not the end of the world! It happens to the best of us. Don’t dwell on it or get down on yourself. We are here to help! Time is of the essence, and getting it done right the first attempt is critical. That’s why you need to see a trusted dentist like Dr. Bash. Our office specializes in making these procedures quick and painless. It’s just another day in the office. A routine fix.
How We Fix Cavities:
- Discuss The Treatment – We believe in keeping you in the loop every step of the way. If you prefer local anesthesia, we can assist. If you prefer taking a more natural approach, we can skip that part of the procedure. Your comfort is paramount. While filling the cavity, Dr. Bash and his dental hygienists will communicate what we are doing and coach you through anything you are unsure about. Once we agree on a treatment plan, we get to work.
- Local Anesthesia – To avoid pain, one of our dentists will numb the area around the tooth that is about to be filled.
- Remove Decayed Section – The next step is drilling into the decayed area to remove all of the bacteria and prevent recurring issues. We always double check the area to make sure it is clear before we add the filling.
- Fill The Cavity – There are a few types of materials that are commonly used for filling cavities. The most common are silver amalgam and composite resin. However, Bash Dental does not utilize amalgam fillings due to the presence of mercury. Composites work great for cosmetic-intensive applications allowing for accurate shade/color matching— so your new restoration fits your smile.
See… it’s not that bad. Dr. Bash is one of the premier dentists for jobs of all magnitudes in the Doylestown and Bucks County areas. His 30 years of experience ensures patients that everything is done professionally. For more information, call us at 215-789-4106 or click HERE to fill out our online contact form! We look forward to getting your smile back to 100%!